Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Personal Directions fot the CATW

             The day that I take the CATW exit exam I must remind myself of several things so that I DO NOT forget what is expected of me. First and formost I must arrive early and make sure I had a great big delicious breakfast because I definitley can't think or concentrate on an empty stomach, as well as bringing at least 2 or 3 pens just in case the pen runs out of ink. A dictionary is a very useful tool when taking writing exams because there might be words I wouldn't understand so all I would do is look them up to find the definition. " I will definitley carry one with me the day of the big test!". As soon as I recieve my exam, I have to make sure that I spend appoximetly 20 minutes in reading the text so that I can understand what I am reading. After the 2nd or 3rd time, I have to underline the authors main important ideas of the text and convert them into a summary using my own words.( Do Not Plagarize! It's illegal, I will go to jail!) I have to summarize what I have read and then choose 1 important  idea, either a frase or quote from the text and I must agree or disagree with it. (not the whole article) Please use your 90 minutes carefully because time does fly away. Bring a rist watch to monitor your timing. I must use at least 5 to 10 minutes to brainstorm and think what are my strongest points so that I can have well writen and developed body paragraphes, and 50 minutes wring my essay. Ms. Rodrigueuz, please be sure to summarize, agree or disagree, state the autors name and title of the text as well as the source in your Introductory paragraph. In my body paragraphs (must be at least 2) I must restate what I am agreeing or disagreeing with and give a reason from either a book Ive read, movie Iv'e watched, a personal experience, learned in school etc.. and then provide at least 2 examples and then I must right my body paragraphs in full details. "It's never too much writing so do not be afraid of using the pen througoutly"! In my conclusion paragraph I will conclude what I have discussed. Finally when Im finish writing my essay, I have to make sure I use the last 10 minutes proof reading it and make any corrections necassary.
          Some of the things I definetly have to look out for are my grammer problems, spelling issues and hopfully the dictionary can save my life this day with my spelling issues, my timing because I find myself using up the whole 90 minutes but I never even reach the middle of the 2nd body paragraph yet so I decide to rush the essay and finish. I also have a problem with developing my paragraphs especailly if I see that the article is a bit difficult. Alot of the times it is difficult underlining the important main points of the text because details can be rather confusing. As long as there isnt any numbers in my underlinings I know I will be ok. I definitley have to watch out for structure and making sure my essay is writen from A,B, to C and not B,C to A. I also have to learn how to not let pressure take over my nerves because as soon as students finish and start leaving the classroom I become nervous and thinking that I am taking to long. ( which is true) I also need to learn how to brainstorm quicker and use the little part of my brain that sits alone in the back corner of the left side of my head more often because it doesnt work when I want her to work, especially on test days. 
       To plan out how I am going to work out my problems in the 2nd paragraph I am simply for sure  going to bring my rist watch because the several exams I did have in class I never had a rist watch so I wasn't paying attention to the time, and when I heard my proffesor say "Ok you have 20 minutes"! Every time then I realized I did take a preaty long time. I am going to bring my dictionary to help with any spelling difficulties I might have. Im going to make sure I read the text throughoutly and avoid details when underlining the important points the best way I can by avoiding any types of numbers. I have learned how to look out for details in class so hopfully and god willing I will do a spectacular job on the day of the exam, I have been doing a great job so far, I just hope my luck doesn't run out. I will use my timing well  and brainstorm the 5 or 10 minutes like Im suppose to, instead of using 3 to 4 minutes. Oh I almost forgot! The most important thing I will work on is my neatness. I have a tendancy of rushing and I find my work to be messy. I was told that I can fail for this too. I dont want that to happen. So please Ms. Rodriguez, take these directions into consideration and practise practise practise because you will do a great job. If you fail, I will be upset that you would have to repeat ENG099.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment