Thursday, November 10, 2011

Practise #3 (Music)

       Music is an exellent sorce for keeping healthy. In the passage "How and Why is Music a Good Tool for Health?" by Elisabeth Scott, M.S. About com Guide, it is stated that reseachers have found that music is a great effect on our body and mind and those who participate in music therapy are understanding how important it is to help patients who are diagnosed with cancer, children with attention problems and others. Hospitals are also relying on music thrapy to ease pain management, depression, to comfort muscle tention, and other benefits. it is also stated that researchers believe depending on the music rhythm, it will stimulate the brainwaves to synchronize with the beat, as well as the changes in our breathing and heartrate. I agree with the statement that "music can also be used to bring a more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression and anxiety under control".
        I agree with the statement "music can also be used to bring more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression and anxiety under control" due to my own personal experience. I remember about two months ago, I was so depressed because my mother had a stroke. I cried, weeped, punched walls so hard that my hand started to bleed. I had noone there to comfort me and to tell me everything was going to be ok. As the weeks went by, I had this same attitude, but my mom started to progress and felt a little better,  I arrived home oneday and decided to read a book. I couldn't because my focus wasn't completely there. I then decided to turn on the radio and play my favorate Hip-Hop and R&B music CD's, as the songs were playing, I gradually kept increasing the volume up, and as the music became louder and louder, I became more hyperactive and excited that I started singing and dancing like a lunatic. I didn't find myself thinking, crying, weeping or punching walls. I even called my friends over and said "OMG"! "Come to my house"! "It's a party here!" "Whoooooo"! When they arrived we kept partying loud with the music. Music took away my depression at that moment and I had a positive state of mind.
        Another reason why I agree with the statement "music can also be used to bring a more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression and anxiety under control" is because i witnessed a bunch of young African American teengers in a group dance activity on 42nd Street Grand Central Station last week. They seemed to be very focused and had a positive state of mind. They enjoyed what they were accomplishing and enjoyed the music. I noticed they kept changing the music songs and danced to the rhytems it provided. I recognized one of the young boys in the group from my old neigborhood I used to reside. He was a big time trouble maker, a bully, always enjoyed bothering people he didn;t even know. When I seen him in this group activity, I was rather shock because it was like "music changed his life" "his ways". He didn;t seem as if he was still living that old life style anymore. He seemed happier and was also making money dancing in ths gathering.
       Consequently, I agree that "music can also be used to bring  a more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression and anxiety under control" because of my own personal expierence when I was depressed over my mother's stroke and music brightened me up. If  I wouldn;t of turned the radio on, I would have been laying in my bed depressed and crying. I also recognized a boy who used to live in my old neighborhood who was very troubling and turned to music and saved his life. if he wouldn;t of turned to music, I believe he probably would have been in jail, killed, or someone would have brutally hurt him. Music is a huge factor in our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment